Thursday 24 October 2019

Solve the Crime


Normally I design my own creative writing activities, but I thought I'd try a commercial game for once. I invested £6.99 to download Treasure at Tadpole Tower and tried it out with some success. 

The 'crime' took about half an hour for a group of ten clever Y5s and 6s to solve, but I think I could have extended things by only giving out one clue each initially (I gave the children two each to start off with, and kept the rest with me instead of hiding them round the room as the site suggests. What happened, though, was that the pupils came together to swap clues and pool information. Also I did release a third clue each after about twenty minutes). 

Instead of paper tokens I used plastic jewels because I thought it was more in keeping with the theme. I had sticky labels with the character names written on them for the children to wear. 

What's nice about the game is you can play it up to nine times more with a different culprit each time. Because the children enjoyed it so much, I consider it a good investment and have ordered a second one - potentially twenty activities! And of course this mystery scenario could easily be a springboard for further creative writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment